My Drugstore Skincare Routine | Oily Skin

I'm pretty sure I'm the only beauty blogger who has never written a blog post about her skincare routine. Actually, I take that back. I did once but it was a very long time ago when nobody was reading my blog. But that's that. I'm going to share my simple skincare routine in a bit. 

Before anything, I have to throw a quick disclaimer. Let me just say that I'm not an expert when it comes to skincare and I'm not claiming to be one. I'm simply sharing my experience and I didn't experience any break out with any of these products. Also, I believe that to achieve healthy skin, I don't have to have a big bunch of products to use daily or 10 steps routine to follow. That's just my opinion. Either way, I feel that this post will be a knowledgeable read.

(Update - Jan 10th, 2019: I don't use most of the products in this post anymore and I'd never know it would be such a big hit. I'll definitely do an updated routine, hopefully soon! Thanks for reading, btw. You guys are awesome!)

Updated skincare routine - Read here & here

My Drugstore Skincare Routine | Oily Skin

1. Remove makeup/ dirt

I strongly believe that makeup remover should be included in everyone's skincare routine because even if you are not wearing makeup, you have to clean the dirt that sits on top of your skin. This is my very first step and I do it with the Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water. Oh. Boy. It's definitely worth the hype and I don't even know how many times I have repurchased this. It works wonders, it removes all of my makeup very well and it's affordable. What else can I say? I highly recommend it.

2. Cleanse

I cleanse twice a day; in the morning and right before I go to bed. The cleanser I'm currently using is the Pure Beauty White and Bright Cleansing Foam. You can get it at Watsons only if I'm not mistaken. Now, I have a very uneven skin tone and all I can say is that it totally evens out my skin tone and I'm so happy that I give this cleanser a try! I noticed that this cleanser does not contain a lot of bubbles too, which is actually good.

3. Tone

After I cleanse, toner is a must for me. I use a toner twice a day as well. It's an absolute must because it drives the pH of the skin back to normal, which is so important. Apparently, the pH of tap water can be pretty bad for the skin so you have to have a toner. Regardless, when I use a toner, I use the Oxy Oil Control Toner. It works well for me. I noticed the sebum on my face has decreased and my face feels squeaky clean and quite lifted.
 

4. Moisturize

Yes, people with oily skin types need to moisturize and can't skip this step. I use aloe vera gel as my moisturizer. Yup, no surprise. I love my aloe gel. If you wish to know more about what aloe gel can be used for, I made a blog post where I talked about how I use my aloe gel HERE. It has been a staple for me.

Since having oily skin (not by choice), I really have to go for moisturizers that are oil-free and gel-based formulas. And aloe gel is the answer! It really hydrates and rejuvenates my skin. I like to use a thick layer before I go to bed and when I woke up in the morning, my skin feels so soft, smooth and healthy. It's a wonderful moisturizer for my skin, my skin loves it very much and I know lots of people don't like it and it's okay. You do you, boo. 

That's pretty much my daily skincare routine. It's so simple. However, sometimes, I like to be a little extra just because I love to pamper my skin. Or basically, because I just like to give more to the skin. So here's what I do:

5. Exfoliate

To really deep clean and remove any dead skin on the face, I use a facial scrub from Organic Aid. Seriously, this scrub makes my face more supple and baby's butt smooth. I exfoliate twice a week and if you love your skin then you should know not to exfoliate every single day. 

For extra hydration

I love sheet masks. I love them very much. I feel extra fancy when I put them on. Haha! Does anyone feel the way I feel? Okay, I like to use sheet masks once or twice a week to give my skin some extra hydration. I love the ones from the Watsons brand and Mediheal.

To absorb excess oil

Whenever my T-zone or just basically the whole face gets oilier than usual, I know my Freeman Mint and Lemon Clay Mask will always do me good and always have my back. It works wonders on my skin, though I have read quite a number of bad reviews. But that's about that. Other than that, oil absorbent paper/ blotting paper is also a must for me and I'm using the one from Clean & Clear

There you go, my skincare routine. Actually, quite several people have been asking about my skincare routine and all I can say is that I don't have a fancy skincare routine like everybody else. Mine is so simple, yet you guys still want to know. Thank you so much! I hope this post is useful for you, any other way.

*Please note that some links used in this post are affiliated links, which allows me to earn a small commission when you buy the product using my link. No commission is earned through clicking links, no worries. I'm not being paid to mention any specific brand in this post, it's purely my own honesty and experience. Thank you for your support~
Now, what's your skincare routine like?

19 comments

  1. I use aloe gel as my moisturizer too! And yes! I do believe that micellar cleansing water really makes my skin extra clean. Mine is from maybelline because I've been using it since the the previous one (blue-green packaging). But now the fact that its formula and packaging has been improved, I have to admit that I'm loving it even moreeee... Haha.. Thank you for sharing, lenne! I think I should find the freeman mint and lemon clay mask and give it a try. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Aloe gel is great, isn't it? And micellar cleansing water works wonders! I'll never switch to any makeup remover ever hehe. Freeman is by far a brand that I swear by and I trust when it comes to masks. The cucumber peeling mask is great as well! You should try it :)

      Delete
  2. I has oily skin jugak tapi tak pernah moisturize sebab lagi berminyak huhu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to moisturize regardless what type of skin you have 😅 maybe the one you're using is too thick for your skin so kulit you makin berminyak. Instead, go for gel-based formula and oil-free moisturizers. If malas nak pegi guardian or watsons to find or to ask recommendations there, you can google what moisturizer suits your skin. That way, you know what to grab once you are at the drugstore :) Hope this helps! xx

      Delete
  3. this is great, thankyou for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the moisturizer <3

    http://www.neezalife.com/2017/05/jom-iftar-di-restoran-nelayan-gombak.html
    http://www.neezalife.com/2017/05/persediaan-seorang-wanita-sihat-dan.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too! Can't really skip moisturize 😄

      Delete
  5. I also used also vera but not as moisturizer more like my night-mask-routine because I will apply in a quite tick layer of aloevera before I go to bed. Hehehee.

    But My skin tend to get breakouts everytime I used the Freeman Mint & Lemon Clay Mask. Maybe it does not suitable for my skin I prefer the Freeman Avocado Clay Mask instead. That's works better on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I like to do at night before I go to bed. I will apply a thick layer and wash it off once I woke up hehe.

      Freeman has a variety of masks to choose from for any type of skin as well. That's what I like about it, there's something for everybody :D

      Delete
  6. Lenne guna pelbagai produk eh. Siqah tak reti nak guna produk campur2. Sekarang ni tetiba dah beli Fair & Lovely sebab nak cerahkan kulit yang gelap kononnya. Hehe.

    Siqah guna Organic Aid tu. Best! Lembap je rasa muka bila pakai 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lenne tak sesuai pakai Fair & Lovely, I wish Lenne boleh pakai sebab iklan dia quite promising. My mom dulu pun guna Fair & Lovely and memang berkesan but bila Lenne pakai muka breakout teruk and gatal gatal T.T

      Best kan guna Organic Aid?? Beads dia pun kecik je, tak sakit muka and muka rasa moisturized je lepas dah pakai 😄

      Delete
  7. Ermm kalau untuk kulit kombinasi sesuai tak guna aloe vera as a moisturizer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I some other times ada je tiba tiba kulit I jadi oily combo babe, but memang most of the time I oily jelah. But during my oily combo days, aloe vera works great on me. It really depends, some people skin dia tak boleh go dengan aloe vera but my skin needs it more than I know.

      Delete
  8. Hello Lenne! Your experience using the product is very good on your face. I like your content. Thank you for sharing your experience. Cocoonmedicalspa.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use aloe vera as my moisturizer too, from innisfree. But sometimes I also use my neutrogena moisturizer if i want to put on makeup , I apply it before foundation because without it, it will make my foundation cakey 😭 do you think the neutrogena moisturizer really suits oily skin? Because when i test it on blotting paper it does have oil in it. 😥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been into Neutrogena so much before, so I'm sorry I can't help you much. Is it gel-based? If it does nothing to your skin, you might want to consider other moisturizer though. I know the moisturizer from Bio Essence (for oily skin) is really nice!

      Delete
  10. Hey, being simple is never a bad thing =)
    I've always had problems with oily skin but I haven't got any idea about this skin care stuff. I hope this can help. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete